Tuesday, August 28, 2007

In the beginning

Hello all,

I am Joe Milam from Greenville SC... I have been a self proclaimed entrepreneur for at least 6 years ever I left my sales position at ScanSource to help them move into e-commerce with a product called BlackArrow. BlackArrow was built to help ScanSource resellers move to the Internet and sell products that ScanSource sells. Being a part of the BlackArrow team and something so innovative made me want to go out and do something new on my own.

I left BlackArrow and ScanSource in July of 2001 to start up my own business. After I did some web development for a little while with a reseller I started Gorilla Networks with some friends to provide wireless networks for businesses. One of our first projects was to wirelessly enable downtown Greenville. We wanted to use this as a marketing method for our business. And it worked! By the press generated by the wireless project Gorilla quickly moved into doing large scale wireless networks for hospitals, other cities and colleges.

It looked like we were on our way until we made a very bad decision, we diversified.

VoIP was coming on really strong at the same time wireless networks were popping up everywhere. Being young and invinsible entrepreneurs we lunged into developing a hosted VoIP solution before VoIP was cool. We justified this diversion by saying the hosted VoIP would lead directly into wireless hosted VoIP - man what a mouth full. Well, needless to say this diversion cost Gorilla a lot of time, money and relationships. Key thing to remember here and learn is you need to pick one thing and be the best in the world at it. We should have stuck with wireless and let other companies with more of a bankroll tackle hosted VoIP.

We ended up selling off the wireless business we worked so hard to build in 2005.

In Jan of 2006 I joined forces with my brother's existing company called PICS or Profitable Inventory Control Systems, Inc. PICS is a software development company focused on building inventory control, asset tracking and process tracking solutions for the manufacturing vertical. Since joining the company, which my brother and I had discussed for some time, I began to work directly with one of our very talented .NET programmers to produce what is/will become the best process tracking solution on the market.

With all this being said, this brings us to today... the birth of a new idea. So what I want to try and do is give you an insider's view of what I am doing and going through to make my idea happen.

No comments: